Thursday, June 23, 2011

An Old Skool Book Cover Smackdown



In 1984, Sal Conte’s baseball themed novel, Child’s Play, was released by Dorchester publishing. The successful novel went through several printings and boasted a stunning cover. But that was twenty-seven years ago, dresses with shoulder pads that turned petites into linebackers were stunning back then. In September, Conte is rereleasing both of his old splatterpunk titles, Child’s Play and The Power, along with a brand new short, The Toothache Man.

Sal wanted a modern, updated look for his new titles, something that would catch the eye of today’s horror fan. He enlisted the aid of Dustin Ashe, of Indy Armada to give his old baby a facelift. In the author’s opinion, Dustin did more than just give the little girl a facelift. He made her bionic. I love the cover. But what do you think? This is the first of an Old School versus New School smackdown. OGs versus Newbies. So, will it be Old School #1 or New School #2? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment.

Old School #1


New School #2

Child’s Play, The Power and The Toothache Man will be available this October for both the kindle and the Nook only for a paltry 99c each. And for those of you who don’t know, Sal Conte is my alter ego. I write YA paranormal romance by day and gruesome horror by night. Buahahahahaaaaaaaa!


7 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! Am I biased? Lol :)

    -d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New school, of course. No comparision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the covers but number 2 is more modern and I really like the colors. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them both, but I love the yellow in number two. It really makes it pop! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the majority. I love old school as much as the next child of the 80s, but the new one pops. There's not really a contest, imo.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new one. The font and design seem much more horrific. I love gruesome horror, so I'm totally buying these when they come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gruesome horror, huh? well, THAT is definitely my kind of book! I LOVE the new cover!!

    ReplyDelete