Thursday, July 29, 2010

Remembering Weetzie Bat


Remember Weetzie Bat? Francesca Lia Block's (Click here: Home Francesca Lia Block) lyrical fairy tale set in the gritty environs of Los Angeles? If you have have not read this one you're missing a treat. Click on the link to Francesca's homepage to learn more.


The novel was recently brought to my attention by my editor, Dan, who said my new paranormal series, Hollyweird, reminded him of the book. No, I'm not at all gifted and lyrical like Francesca--I wish! But like Weetzie Bat, my series is set in the gritty, and not so gritty Hollywood area. You'll see Grauman's and Pinks, the Key Club and The Mint, even Rodeo Drive in my book. My job in the rewrite is to not just mention these areas, but to make them and all of Hollywood sing with life, and history, and kitsch, so that my reader will be whisked away there.


So, I went back and reread Weetzie Bat. Man, I hadn't realized it came out in 1989. Twenty-one years. It was great catching up with Weetzie and Dirk, and Duck, and all the dogs. I remembered loving the book back then, but I had forgotten what a terrific love story there was. I know, duh!


I wasn't so young when I read it, and yet, rereading now was a whole new experience for me. I read it in half an hour (It's a short book). I still can't stop thinking about how much it's making me think about my life, and love, and people, and disappointment, and time. I don't remember any of these things the first time around.


My TV writing career was really taking off back in 1989. I think I was so into what I was doing, that I just read the book because I heard it was good, and probably to say that I'd read it. How shallow, I know. But rereading it now, when I'm at an entirely different place in my life, has made the novel resonate for me in new ways.


Why not go back and reread something you've enjoyed a long time ago, but don't remember so well? It could turn out to be a wonderful experience for you. It was for me. If you do this, would you drop me a line and let me know what you read, and what you think now. You can post it on any of my blog posts. I'll know. Maybe we can get a reread book group going.


Now, the big question for the day is, do I pull out Wifey, or go back to work?

5 comments:

  1. LOVED THIS BOOK. And NO it did NOT come out twenty one years ago! Really?! No, really!! Has it been that long?? Twenty one years!? DANG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took your advice and reread Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which I really hated as a kid. I absolutely love it now and I think I just didn't understand it then. I'm so glad I gave it another try. My review of it is here if you'd like to read it: http://titania86-fishmuffins.blogspot.com/2010/09/frankenstein-or-modern-prometheus.html

    Weetzie Bat is awesome too, but my first and favorite by Francesca is I Was a Teenage Fairy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book really has a great cover!
    And yout thoughts on it really made me interested in trying it!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this book before but now I'll definitely check it out. I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower a while back and I loved it. Maybe I'll pick it up again :P

    ReplyDelete