Saturday, January 24, 2009

A New Day?

I do not intend to use this blog as a political forum, but I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the inauguration of Barack Obama. While it was indeed gratifying to see the American dream truly being reflected, as a black man was sworn-in as our president, I was personally overjoyed by all the people who were interested enough to go to Washington DC, or watch it on TV. I know, in time, many of these people will drift away, and like the ostrich, stick their heads back into the sand. But I believe (and hope) a lot more will get involved with helping others, and take an interest in what Washington does with our votes. If more of us care about what happens with each other, and if we keep a vigilant eye on Washington, we will not have a repeat of the last eight years. And I don't know about you, but with the economy tanking the way it's doing right now, I can't afford a repeat.

I am already involved with two charities, but I'm going to look around for something more that I can do. Any ideas? I'd like to hear of ways I can get more involved with helping others. I'd love to hear from any of you who may have a suggestion for me. That's all for now.

Sleep tight, don't let the zombies bite.

2 comments:

  1. I do a lot of volunteer work with the Art of Elysium. The charity offers a creative outlet for terminally ill children. The volunteers are all entertainment industry professionals- writers, directors, producers, artists, etc.

    The people who run it are very genuine and they run a lean charity- low overhead. I can connect you with them if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, Tatiana. Thanks for the suggestion. Working with children sounds perfect. Please forward me more info. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete